Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Bermuda Onion where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and go add your link to Mr. Linky!
My Words this week are both from The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell:
- Unctuous eg “I smell your unctuous, even in that perfumed zombie.” can mean ~
1. characterized by excessive piousness or moralistic fervor, especially inan affected manner; excessively smooth, suave, or smug.
2. of the nature of or characteristic of an unguent or ointment; oily;greasy.
3. having an oily or soapy feel, as certain minerals.
- Apocrypha eg. “…is already morphing into a multi-user anecdote, sprouting apocrypha and even one or two comic interludes.”can mean~
1. (initial capital letter) a group of 14 books, not considered canonical,included in the Septuagint and the Vulgate as part of the OldTestament, but usually omitted from Protestant editions of the Bible.
2. various religious writings of uncertain origin regarded by some asinspired, but rejected by most authorities.
3. writings, statements, etc., of doubtful authorship or authenticity.